Monday, April 22, 2013

SNUS 101: Wow, how do I do this stuff? (Los/Loose)


Okay, so if you're new to snus (or Loose)... this will be a brief "how to" for you.  You open the can, and an almost black paste stares back at you...  what to do with this stuff?  Well, you've got options... you can try to dip it (a pinch in the lower lip), I'm not a fan... most Swedish snus will fall apart from the drool generated from this position--btw, that bottom vs. top lip is what makes snus no-spit.  You can shovel a US smokeless product in your top lip and the need to spit will disappear (or diminish greatly)... the shit will shred  (read: irritate the hell out of) your lip, but it can be done.  Option two is the farmer's pinch, top lip... pretty simple, grab however much you want to go up there and shove it in your lip (I usually follow it up with my tongue... kinda squash it in place).  This method works well, but it will fall apart quicker than baking.  Baking?  Well, the typical jargon for snus is "baking a prilla", or forming a brick to put in your lip.  You can do this by hand, basically squash it together and form the perfect pinch to put in your lip (google "hand baking snus" and you'll find some nice videos)... once you've perfected this art, nothing compares for los... the drawbacks are;  a sizable learning curve (akin to hand rolling cigarettes), and dirty fingers/hands.  Taking this route, I recommend starting with Ettan or Roda Lacket... by far the easiest to form in my experience.  Option # 3, and most popular in my estimation... buy a portioner... a tool to bake your prilla with.  There are two on the market (that I'm aware of), the Prismaster, and the Icetool... both work in essentially the same fashion.   You stick them in your can of snus, tamp them down/tighten as desired, and then extract the prilla into your lip.  The major difference being... the prismaster is very cheap, made of plastic (sub $5), it does a fair job, but your prilla/portion will fall apart more quickly... The icetool on the other hand is made of steel or aluminum (costs upwards of $50) and makes a very tight prilla... as good as (if not better than) hand baking.  So think disposable bic lighter vs. a zippo.  Both require a fair amount of upkeep in the cleaning department. I have both (though my prismaster has been retired since getting my icetool).  Considering it's such an investment, I recommend buying the prismaster before getting an icetool... if you like the prismaster, you'll likely love the icetool (I know I do).  Videos for both of these can be googled too.  Happy snusing!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to read a review of Oden's loose snus.
    You find it at https://www.snusdaddy.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pris master is going on my next order with either Prima Flint or Roda Laket, I love the Roda white portions but am not efficient yet to use los doing my job it's very physical loads of moving and lifting....so I use portions at work, los is such a better deal it seems by weight I've gotta adapt.

    ReplyDelete