Friday, April 19, 2013

SNUS 101: American "Snuhss" vs. Swedish Snus


Okay, so if you're in the US, you've seen Camel, Marlboro, or Skoal snus pretty much wherever cigarettes are sold... they come in pouches, can be placed in the upper lip but that's pretty much where the similarities to Swedish Snus end. I find the US products to be much weaker in terms of nicotine content, loaded with sugar and flavors, and severely lacking in terms of quality. I've also yet to find any results on the TSNA (carcinogen) content (not that I'd try, because I think they taste like shit)... to take it a step further, I find it an insult to the fine products being produced in Sweden to even label the American products snus. It's much like comparing an american cheese food product (i.e. Kraft singles) to an exquisite aged gouda or fresh mozzarella. There is THAT much difference. In other words, there is no comparing real Swedish Snus and the US products that are called snus. The redeeming factor... is that my fellow (ignorant) Americans typically mispronounce snus with a short "u"... sounding something more like "snuhss", I do hope this trend continues and the proper pronunciation, "snoose" gets reserved for quality Swedish products only. I know... you're thinking... "how xenocentric of you Adam"... well, if the shoe fits, then I'll wear it... I make buying decisions based off of value (quality vs price), NOT patriotism. If we (the US) ever begin making a product that rivals Swedish in quality and price... I'll change my tune. 'Til then, I'm carrying the blue and yellow flag for MY tobacco products.

1 comment:

  1. I started using Snus when camel was given away in the US hoping I'd enjoy it, well it did lead me to order a General sample box and my continued love for snus remains. Swedish Snus, that is

    ReplyDelete