Monday, April 22, 2013

SNUS 101: How to quit smoking with Snus


Let me start by saying, that if you're one of those people who wants argue the semantics of "quitting smoking" vs "switching tobacco products"... and I mean this sincerely.... FUCK OFF!!!  I am a non-smoker, completely independent of cigarettes, and have been for many years thanks to Swedish snus.  My risk of pretty much EVERY adverse health effect from smoking has been dramatically reduced, or eliminated.  My clothes, my car, my home... no longer smell like an ashtray, my wallet is some $200 fuller every month.   Suffice to say, I win, and again it's ALL thanks to snus.  Now, I will say that I was a SERIOUS smoker, a pack and half a day (minimum)... and I tried many of the popular quit-smoking aids with no success.  The nicotine replacement therapy (patches/gum/lozenges) failed miserably... I simply couldn't get enough nicotine to suppress my cravings, nor was it anywhere near affordable, the antidepressants... well they just made me feel "off", but didn't stop the cravings... and given the laundry list of side effects (suicide, E.D. *ack!!*), I'm embarrassed to say I even put them in my body.  Okay, enough about what didn't work... let's talk about snus, and why it did.  The Reader's Digest version...  more nicotine!  I simply got more nicotine than I did when I smoked... therefore, I never went through nicotine withdraw.  Even a mild snus will have plenty of nicotine to satisfy cravings if you smoke the strongest full flavor cigarettes on the market.  i.e. I went from 30 Marlboro Reds to 1/2 a can of Skruf (original) daily... and never felt like I was at a shortage of nicotine... in fact, I felt like I was getting more!  BUT, there is a lot more to cigarette addiction than just nicotine.  There are plenty of other addictive substances in those things (literally hundreds of additives, thousands of chemical compounds)... and of course there's the psychological addiction.  Suffice to say, replacing the nicotine doesn't make the urge to smoke go way... only time will do that, and the urge may never completely cease (example: to this day, I still want a cigarette if I'm drinking heavily).  I'm happy to say, that with snus and a little time, it will become almost effortless to manage.  The important part for me was staying ahead of my cravings.  The hardest thing to adjust to is the fact that snus takes some 15-20 min to begin to satisfy that urge... whereas a cigarette fixes it on the first puff.  If you're thinking "it's only a 10 to 15 min difference... what's the big deal'? then you've never been a sincere smoker... those few minutes can feel like an eternity in hell when a strong craving hits... and they can make or break your success in quitting.  So know your triggers, and be as far ahead of them as humanly possible. For me, I always smoked after eating... so as soon as I finish my last bite of food, a snus is my lip.  Shortly after waking up, I smoked... so right after opening my eyes, a snus went in.  Directly after an orgasm (yes sex) I had to have a cigarette... so I got into the habit of tossing one in as soon as she shot me the doey-eyes (yes, I do the deed with a snus in my lip) *grins*--I'll take it a step further... and say if this turns her/him off, change partners, not tobacco products :P.  Hopefully you get the idea... whatever your trigger, pop a snus in a little sooner than you would normally light up.  When it comes to alcohol... I have failed so many times (and still do on rare occasion).  My suggestion is, tone it way down... or eliminate it if possible... at least for the first month or so of being smoke free.  Smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand for me, and I don't know that I'll ever shake that urge (when I'm three shades to the wind).  That said, a couple of drinks and I'm fine... it's the "time to call a cab" nights that I'm really at risk (especially if there is a smoker in the group).  While I'm on the subject... stay away from smokers!  As much as possible, stay away from people who smoke, or at the very least people who are smoking.  After about a month, or whenever your confidence is high enough that you're sure you won't cave...  try hanging out with smokers in small doses.  Also of consideration... never ever, ever, ever... run out of snus! Got that?  If you're in the US like me, there can be a 3+ day wait for a delivery from Sweden.  If you're lucky enough to have a local retailer of Swedish snus... great... now go find a back up source (in case they run out).  Availability can be a big problem... and if you're thinking you can grab a tin of Camel or other American "Snus" (see my write up of American vs. Swedish Snus) think again... not only does it taste terrible, but it doesn't pack the punch of the Swedish, I would guess you'll have to use 2-3x as much, and even then you're running the risk of failing.  I probably have 40+ cans in my freezer/refrigerator right now, and I never go below 3 cans (a 6 day supply for me) without more en route.  Bonus points if you can get a buddy to join you (I got my brother on the snus wagon), we were able to spot each other a can if cut ordering too close (not to mention swapping cans to try different brands).  So, let's review;  know your triggers and stay ahead of them, avoid alcohol and smokers, and never ever run out of snus... do this much, and you've got a very good chance of kicking that smoking habit... it worked for my brother and I, and it can work for you.  I'll also say, that if you fall off the wagon... don't sweat it, you didn't become a smoker overnight... you might not become a non-smoker overnight either... but if you have an earnest desire to quit, snus will be an invaluable aid in your quest.  If you're anything like me, you'll notice an association shift in the process.  Early on, the snus was a substitute for the cigarettes... later (about 2 weeks) it actually became a preference...  in other words, given the choice, I would take a snus over a cigarette.  Do some research on success rates of quitting smoking with snus and compare it to patches (or any other method)... you'll be surprised by the results.  I've seen them reported as high as 50% (vs 1%  for patches...)... now I'm not going to stand behind those figures (I didn't conduct the studies or put the sources under a microscope), but I will say that your chances are much, much higher with snus... I know this, because it worked for me.  Well, good luck to any would-be ex-smokers reading this...  I'm not going to say it's easy, but it's pretty damn close to it (especially when compared to other methods).  Happy Snusing!

5 comments:

  1. Trying to quit smoking may actually be one of the hardest things that an individual will ever attempt to conquer. If quitting "cold turkey" fails, then it may be necessary to try alternative methods and products. I have found quit smoking hypnosis is the best way that I found really working for me. Thanks for your article!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say this is a very accurate reflection of my experience with Swedish snus.

    I think one of the biggest points you make is that once replacing the nicotine of cigarettes with something else (the patch, snus, ect.) you don't suddenly loose the urge to smoke. The act of smoking itself is a learned habitual behaivor. I noticed in the first few months the urge to smoke was big, and I would still smoke here and there even if I largely replaced it with snus.
    Stick with it though. You will find that over time cigarettes will loose their appeal. For me, my last cigarette I remember only being able to get half way through it before having to chuck it, as it was unpleasant. Eventually you will just prefer snus outright. But you have to work to reduce it though, though it won't be as bad with snus, Since that last cigarette, been smoke free for years.

    I liken quitting cigarettes to base jumping. Cold-turkey is like base jumping with no parachutte. With the patch its like using a linen cloth or a bed-sheet, still going to hit the ground hard, whereas with snus its like having a parachutte. You still hit the ground with some force but its not going to hurt or kill you, if that metaphor stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. an even healthier way of snusing has received patent in Sweden and is presently patent pending in Europe and USA. The production method of Sting Free snus means "No pain, strain or stain", referring to the stinging/burning on the snusers gum and oral mucosa (pain), protecting the gum and oral mucosa from any damage (strain) and not discoloring the teeth (stain).

    The product involves a simple ultra-thin impermeable membrane on the inside of one side of the snus pouch and works on all snus, as well as moist snuff, in in pouch in the world. The special membrane does not interfere with nicotine kick, taste or scent. Swedish Match has signed up for a license to produce.

    Read more about the snus revolution in English on www.facebook.com/stingfreesnus or www.stingfreesnus.com or watch a video on how it works for you on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwpdXQ0vGlI

    One million people have already read about the patented snus future of Sting Free snus!

    Best regards
    Bengt Wiberg
    Snus health innovator
    Lidingö
    Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but it is impossible for me as I tried it loads of times but it never worked out. ways to quit smoking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let the Snus win. If a smoker starts by even alternating cigarette for a Snus portion, that is one cigarette closer to quitting. This defines harm reduction The Swedish Experience can be read by any one it's a public study on the reduced level of harm caused by Snus versus smoking.
    I smoked 2-2&1/2 pksof Marlboro blacks daily. Switched to Snus and after alternating the 2 I started to enjoy Snus more, I'm 8 days without a cigarette and have the last 3 packs sitting here beside me; my wife even smokes and I simply us Snus instead, it's more fulfilling in the Nicotine department.

    ReplyDelete