Friday, April 19, 2013

REVIEW: Honorable Mention General Brand



Let me begin by saying this is one in a series of reviews of my current (available) favorite brands.  Note the scratch-outs... even though General isn't a favorite of mine, I still don't mind recommending it (as an Honorable Mention). It's important to note that most reviews will be of a single tin/product... but in an effort to condense my experiences, I'm going to start a little bit more broad... and address the brand's entire product line. I will say that in my opinion, you can't go wrong with any of the ones I cover in this series.  As time allows (read: if/when I get bored), I will revisit each individually, but these should serve as a nice overview.

General is the king of snus in Sweden... available in more strengths, shapes and sizes than you can shake a stick at.  It is the "modern classic" as far as snus is concerned and many brands imitate it.  It's the only real Swedish snus I've found for sale in the US (at tobacco stores, and even some gas stations).  It's a solid snus.  Bold tobacco flavor, citrus, and (ick) bergamot.  Again, a matter of opinion... plenty of folks like this flavor... they like Earl Grey tea... I'm not one of those folks.  To me, it gives a metallic taste to the tobacco... it's ever present, in your face, and I just don't care for it--they've also released a slew of mint, and "American" (read: sweet) style snuses that I appreciate even less than their classic.  That said, I've been known to order General when it's on sale... buy it locally between orders... in other words, it's completely tolerable, just not a favorite... but tons of Swedes say otherwise... so I'd encourage you to try it in spite of my less than stellar review.


Overall: 7.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment