Friday, May 31, 2013

SNUS 101: Snus and value

Reflecting on my order today, I can't help but notice a trend in snus... that should be readily apparent, but since I'm a huge fan of redundancy... I'm going to point it out. I'm going to point it out.  I'm going to point it out *grins*  What am I pointing out?  The cost of convenience... that's what.  Namely, that the cost of los/loose, portions, and mini portions are essentially the same, but the amount of tobacco you get drops substantially as you move down that list.  Assuming the cost of a can is $5, you pay the same $5 for 40-45g of los ($0.125/g), that you do for 24 1g ($0.21/g) of standard portions, that you do for 24 .5g ($0.42/g) of mini portions.  In other words, the hands down best value in regards to snus will be found in los, the lowest value ($ per gram anyway) will be found in mini's.  That said, I'm sure this is fair, working for a manufacturer I know all too well the cost involved in packaging... and relatively speaking when you buy loose, you're buying in bulk. That said, each has it's place, and when needed... I certainly don't mind the respective cost... but it's something to be mindful of when placing orders.  Let's examine the merits of all three.  Beginning with los, again the highest g:$ ratio... easily the best flavor delivery and most comfortable.  You can choose the size of your pris, so (at least for a time) it can be very discreet.  Where los begins losing the value war is in "drip", the tobacco particles will eventually begin to migrate (regardless of how tight your pris is) and in time you will get mudmouth.  Then there is also the trouble of forming a pris, and it's a good deal more difficult to get it out of your lip once it's in there, long story short, you've got the potential to be messy.  In fact, in a professional or social setting... getting that pris out will likely require a trip to the bathroom... a fair amount of spitting, and a follow up rinse of the mouth.  This is where portions rule... the old adage "no assembly required".  You pop it in when you want it, and pop it out when you're done... your can even has a nice catch lid if no trashcan is nearby.  That said, the portion is (close to) 1g, and fairly limited (as far as spreading out goes) by the size of the teabag material.  So it's often difficult (if not impossible) to be completely discreet with it's positioning... this is doubly true if you have a small mouth (ladies, little guys).  Which is where mini's shine... they're tiny enough that they remain completely invisible under lip, on pretty much anyone, under pretty much any circumstance (smiling etc).  Given the taboo of women and smokeless, I can see why mini's are more popular among the finer sex. With a mini in, literally no one will know.  So you pay for the respective convenience of each.  For me, I use los when I'm at home, or have few appointments at the office...  regular portions when I'm out and about, white's if am concerned about mudmouth, and mini portions when I want absolutely no one to know I'm getting my fix.  Don't get me wrong... for all the discretion talk... los and regular portions can be kept discreet under the right conditions (i.e. avoiding big toothy grins, properly managing your pris/portion etc)... but it requires some management and attention on your part.  In fact, I began using los, and my boss (who I talk to multiple times daily) didn't know I was using it for years until I told her... but the more observant may pick up on it... and it all depends on how "secret" you want your tobacco habit to be.  Definitely something to consider when you're buying your snus.  Til next time, happy snusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment