Tuesday, May 28, 2013

REVIEW: Lab Series 05


While Lab Series has been covered in my "Living Favorites" series, I didn't include 05... and I didn't write my initial review with a portion in mouth.  So, this post will work to remedy both points.  Let's start with appearance.  The  packaging for Lab Series is a fantastic, no frills approach to snus.  It's a silver plastic can, with a slight metallic speckle in the resin, an average sized catch lid, with clear printed labels.  This gives a nice illusion for the print to "stand" atop the can, almost giving it a mirrored look... an illusion of depth often seen in automotive painting.  The overall presentation is very clean, very modern.  05 is the strong white version of the Lab Series...  all of which being long portions, all of which being "non-drip".  My primary aversion to many whites, is that they are too dry, and lend to lip irritation... that said, you will not have this problem with 05 (or any in this line).  The portion material used is unique, it lends itself to a soft mouth feel... with just enough slack in the portion for it to easily mold to your lip and gums.  The non-drip aspect is excellent... it's all too rare to find a snus that leaves your teeth white by the end of the day (assuming you chain snus as I do)...  but Lab Series manages to deliver in this department... second to none.  The shape of the portion is also unique... even as long's grow in popularity, I haven't seen another done this way.  It's thinner than a regular portion, of course longer, but also has a slightly cylindrical shape... which in my opinion adds to the great mouth feel of this snus.  That said, the 05 is a strong, and as with most increased nicotine products... is very alkaline (or basic).... which does cause I mild burning sensation on the lip... but it's mild and does not lead to irritation (swelling, rough patches etc).  On to taste... which is enjoyable, but I stand behind my initial verdict of it being a bit too present to be my everyday snus (again, that speaks to my taste... I wager others will find palatable for daily consumption).  It's medium to low on "saltiness" for Swedish brands, but still very savory in that respect.  The flavors are very natural... first is tobacco, and then wood... I detect oak and cedar... even some fresh mossy or grassy notes, and the finest hint of tea.  If I had to sum it up in as few words as possible, it would be; "salt, tobacco, and deciduous forest"... in that order.  I don't notice any of the herbal, nutty, or floral notes that Swedish Match (and many vendors) have described... but that's not a bad thing in my eyes--in fact, I had to go back and edit "nutty" out of my original review (replaced by yummy *grins*).   I've fallen in love with this line for it's function... great nicotine hit, discreet, and of course keeps your teeth whiter than any other brand.  The taste is solid and unoffensive... refreshing, earthy, but just a bit too pungent and present to be my everyday brand.  That said, there are times I CRAVE this taste.... when nothing else will do.  So if you take nothing else away from this review, let it be: this snus has way too many merits to be overlooked... it's a staple in my ordering rotation, and I encourage you to give it a shot.  Til next time, happy snusing!!!

Appearance: 10/10
Aroma: 9/10
Mouth Feel: 10/10
Flavor: 8/10
Nic Hit: 10/10
Drip: 10/10


Overall: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment