Friday, June 7, 2013

REVIEW: NEW Skruf Nord 66 Degrees Strong White


OMFG... what a fantastic snus!  Before reading this, read my Skruf review (#2 all time favorites).  Okay, done?  Great!  Now, I'm going to say that this is everything I love about Skruf, minus everything I don't (packaging & rose oil).  But, being the overly critical bastard that I am, I'm going to present you with a few chinks in the armor... namely format, and complexity.  My bone with the format option is that if you want this strength/flavor profile, you're left with only a white portion...  no loose (which I can only dream about), OR regular (moist) portion without jumping up to an extra strong... which is often too much nicotine, even for a tweeker like me *grins*  Now, on to the point about complexity... you know the old adage "be careful what you wish for"?  Well, that has some (albeit rather limited) application here.  With that rose oil goes an element of complexity in the flavor... it's not flat, or boring by any stretch of the imagination, but there isn't a lot going on... I've yet to truly decide if that's a good or a bad thing.  That said, if I had to pick between the traditional Skruf Strong White, and the Nord 66 version... I would pick the Nord 66 every, single, time... because with it, there is no ever present flavor to tire of.  In other words, they DID make a good thing better!  So kudos to Skruf on a job well done!

Well, here goes the first crack at that rating system...

Appearance: 8/10 The grey can is a nice improvement over the white (which I think looks like cosmetics), but the graphics seem a bit "busy" (read: trying too hard).  Only looses one point for that, it loses a second point for the traditional 2/3's catch lid (only because larger, full size ones are available now).
Aroma:  9/10 Pure, fresh tobacco... ever so inviting
Mouth Feel: 7.5/10 The portions are a very comfortable material, but alas it's a white, and all white's are a tad dry.  Otherwise, there is plenty of slack in the pouch to get the tobacco situated
Flavor: 9/10 The only thing keeping this from a 10 is the lack of complexity mentioned above.  It's mild in this respect (read: no heavy spice notes), fresh tobacco, very straightforward.
Nic Hit: 10/10 Skruf strong (3/4 on their scale) is the perfect nicotine level for my addiction.  One portion will get the job done with no problem.  It sneaks up on you kind of slowly, and maintains steadily for up to an hour.  Times when you need an extra kick, throwing in a second won't be too rough either... though I can only stand it for about 15-20min, before feeling overdosed.
Drip: 9/10 This is a very drip friendly snus (as far as keeping the teeth white goes), but it's no lab series, and come the end of the day, you will see a little tent to the smile.
Overall: 9/10 The average would be 8.6, but I'm rounding this one up just because I can, and because I think it deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment