Monday, December 4, 2023

REVIEW: Skruf (No. 19) Tranbär


I (kinda) formally reviewed this one in 2013.  A bit of an injustice considering it's been a regular in my rotation, something I buy by the roll, since the very first time I tried it.  Moreso considering it's one of only a handful of snus offerings I would call a 10.  So, let's remedy that shit. 

Appearance: 10/10

In my estimation, Skruf sets the bar for appearance.  Tranbär is no exception.  Grey matte metallic label, embossed glossy cranberry print, super minimalist, so classy.  I look at it and immediately think, "this is a whole different level of smokeless tobacco".

Aroma: 10/10

Once the ammonia clears, tart, natural cranberry and robust tobacco are what hits my nose.  I want to emphasize "natural" here... with Thanksgiving a recent memory and real cranberries available for comparison, this is the embodiment of the real thing.

Mouth Feel: 10/10

So impressed with how far Skruf (and the industry at large) has come with their portion material.  Gone are the days of dry, irritating white portions... now they're soft, sleek, and oh so comfy.

Flavor: 10/10

The taste delivers all the promise found in the aroma.  Robust tobacco and tart fresh cranberries.  The two flavors compliment one another perfectly.  There's a strong salt note, bitter/sour robust tobacco and that natural cranberry.  I'm making it point to honor the "natural"  character, because I'm so averse to artificial flavor (think grape, strawberry or blueberry candy)... that shit is intolerable for me.

Nic Hit: 10/10

Regular strength, perhaps the high side of regular (at 12mg), but this portion doesn't have me tweaking.  Lasts upwards of an hour... smooth/steady delivery.

Drip: 10/10

It's white, if well positioned/maintained completely drip resistant for the first 20-30 min.  Perfect for instances where tobacco isn't socially acceptable.

Overall: 10/10

Yeah, I'm gushing on this product.  I really love everything about it.  If you've followed my content over the years, you know I'm not a fan of sour (specifically bergamot) mint (mouthwash) or most flavored (kool aid tasting) shit... but this one doesn't offend my palette at all.  It's flavored snus done right. Natural, tasteful and complements the tobacco.  My only gripe is that I can't get it in lös.

1 comment:

  1. Skruf Tranbar definitely is a flavored Snus that has lasted the span of time. One would think it wouldn't have survived the market, but it's great blend of tartness with tobacco I've not seen in another berry Snus offering.

    ReplyDelete